Sunday, May 30, 2010

Playing Favorites

Day 7
OT Reading: Genesis 18-19
NT Reading: Matthew 6

A couple years ago we did a sermon series called "Things I wish Jesus Never Said"1.
Some people were shocked that we'd dare say there were things we wish weren't in the Bible. These are usually the same individuals who, when you ask for their favorite Bible verse, story or book will say, "Well I like all of them."

If we're really honest, there are passages that we really love in the Bible, and those we don't. For example, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13, NIV) is one that's very popular and uplifting. However there are also passages like James 4:17 which read, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." (NIV) Yeah...not a big fan of that one. Don't get me wrong. Just because we may wish it were not there, doesn't exclude us from following God's Word. However, if we're honest, we can all recognize some of those verses that we'd rather just scratch out.

I say all that because of two small verses that showed up today. In Matthew 6:14-15 we read this:
"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
See what I mean? You might not like it...I may not like it. Especially when someone has wronged me in some way. But the fact is, Jesus tells us to forgive...otherwise we will not be forgiven.

It doesn't mean there will be immediate reconciliation. It doesn't mean the wrong-doings are forgotten. It doesn't mean that he or she has "gotten away with it". But it does mean that if I'm a follower of Jesus, I need to be willing to say to someone who has wronged me, "you don't owe me anything...you're forgiven."

This may be one of the hardest concepts to grasp in the Christian faith. And frankly it would seem completely unfair and impossible...if Jesus hadn't done it all first.

So...as you read through this today...who do you need to forgive?

1This sermon series idea was not original with us at CCJ. We picked it up from Community Christian Church in Naperville, IL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.