Saturday, July 3, 2010

(mis)Understanding holiness

Day 41
OT Reading: Leviticus 10-12
NT Reading: Matthew 26:1-19

In my experience I've heard a lot of perspectives, and even some confusion, about what "holiness" actually is. For some it seems to be that untouchable goal of being able to do everything right all the time. Which makes it pretty discouraging when God tells us to be holy as He is holy (Leviticus 11:45, 1 Peter 1:15-16).

The other major perspective that seems to exist is that holiness comes by following all the rules. Then, if I have this perspective, once I see that I'm following everything on my list it's easy for me to get very prideful about how holy I truly am.

The fact is that God tells us right in today's reading what holiness is. Leviticus 10:10a reads, "You must distinguish between the holy and the common..." (NIV) To be holy had nothing to do with rules, otherwise how would a lamp-stand or a fork be considered holy? To be holy means to be "set apart." This is why God contrasts the holy with the common. The instruments and people put in place for God's service were not to be treated as ordinary and common. Instead, they were to be seen as what they were...sacred...special...holy.

And that's essentially what God wants out of his followers. He doesn't want us to be ordinary and common just like everyone and everything else we run into day to day. God wants you and I to be different. To be noticeably distinctive. To be set apart for His service. God wants us to be...holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.