Monday, August 23, 2010

Catching up with a verse I love.

Day 92
OT Reading: Judges 8-9
NT Reading: Luke 8:22-56

So yes, it has been since mid-last week that I've posted. In case you're wondering I have been reading, as I stated in my one post while away. I just haven't really been posting anything. And frankly, it's impossible to pick just one thing to write about when so much has happened. I mean I could write about:

* the fact we've finished Joshua;
* 'Things you never realized were in the Bible - part 2.' I love the story of Ehud and Eglon in Judges 3...but mainly for grotesque reasons;
* a female judge (Deborah - Judges 4);
* the parable of the soils (Check out yesterday's sermon for more info if you so desire);
* all sorts of cosmology-related items that we learn about Jesus' encounter with the demon-possessed man;
* what in the world 'cosmology' is (hint: it in no way involves beauty school);
* and much, much more.

But instead of trying to cram a ton into this space, let me offer one verse that has stood out to me since I came across it last week. I even underlined it in my Bible (which, in case no one has told you, is completely acceptable to do). It's found back in Joshua 21:45 which reads, "Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled."

I find this verse poignant because of how we may pray for something for a few days and if we see no movement we begin to wonder if God is listening. For centuries the people of God had waited to receive the land God had promised their father Abraham. And finally, God fulfilled that very promise. Many had lived and died never getting to see this promise fulfilled. Yet even though it was not in a time frame most of the Israelites would have preferred, God came through.

Perhaps you need to underline that verse in your Bible, and re-read it next time you wonder if God is listening, or if He'll come through for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.