Sunday, August 15, 2010

Details, details.

Day 84
OT Reading: Joshua 14-15
NT Reading: Luke 4:33-44

If you've been with me from the beginning of this journey, you may recall how I encouraged you to skim when coming across long lists of names and places. Hopefully you did remember, as Joshua 15 would have been the perfect time to enact such an approach. Yes, the list was very important to those living in that day. By looking at this they would understand the boundaries of each tribe and clan's inheritance as they were established. But to those of us who live 3,000+ years removed and half a world away...these are not important details to us. However I'm fairly certain that I want to avoid 'Scorpion Pass' (verse 3 in case you missed it).

But there is one detail I hope you didn't miss. Perhaps you consider this doctrinally irrelevant, perhaps not. Perhaps I only gravitate towards writing about it due to my odd affinity for random pieces of information. But regardless, did you notice a detail about Peter as you read today's passage in Luke? Luke 4:38 spoke of how Jesus went to the home of Peter's mother-in-law. Meaning Peter was married.

This of course raises a ton of curiosity-oriented questions for me. I'd love to know what Peter's wife had to say about all these activities, I'd love to know how she felt when Peter told her about walking on water (John 6) or when he preached on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2). There are just a ton of questions I'd love to know the answers to.

As I said, perhaps to you that's old news, and perhaps it is irrelevant. But one way or another you know assuredly know one more thing about the apostle Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.