Thursday, August 26, 2010

Love makes you blind...redefined.

Day 95
OT Reading: Judges 15-17
NT Reading: Luke 10:1-24

They say that love is blind. Of course I've yet to figure out who 'they' are. Nonetheless, if there were ever a Biblical character to serve as the poster child for this statement my vote would be for Samson.

Samson is a guy that has hacked off an entire nation of Philistines. If it were not for Samson, they'd probably be lording over the Israelites without too much effort involved. But this annoying guy named Samson seems to be single-handedly killing thousands of their soldiers and inflicting unspeakable amounts of financial loss on them. I have a feeling that if any one of the Philistines had taken Samson out alone, they would have returned to a heroes welcome and been heralded as one of the greatest of warriors. But since no one can, the Philistines try a much more deceitful approach...they use a woman.

Delilah is her name. And apparently Samson was just flat out dumb-struck head-over-heels for her. So if you'll excuse my ranting for a minute, there are a few things I'd like to say to Samson...man to man...friend to friend.

Really Samson? I mean...seriously??? Sure, you may be able to break me like a twig without even noticing I was ever there, and I'll certainly never beat you in arm wrestling...but someone has to be willing to stand up and say this. Can you seriously not tell that this woman is trying to get you killed? You don't find it the least bit odd that every time you give her an answer about the source of your strength, you find yourself in that very position the next day? And don't give me the, "no relationship is perfect" line. No, I may not have it all figured out, but I can honestly say that no woman I've ever dated has tried to kill me even once...much less multiple times. Here is a good rule of thumb to go by Samson, if she is more upset that you lied rather than elated that you survived...it's probably a good time to move on.

Perhaps what I would say to Samson would seem to be a bit on the irreligious side. But honestly, I can't help but shake my head at this guy.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty funny Mark - and just about what I was thinking too. He may have been a great warrior, but sure didn't seem very smart. And a sound sleeper too...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.