Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The role of a friend

Day 107
OT Reading: 1 Samuel 22-24
NT Reading: Luke 16:1-18

I logged into Blogger today and realized that it had been six days since my last post. I honestly had no idea that it had been that long. Oh well, I'm sure neither of you were all that disappointed. But alas, I'm back and posting away.

Over the last couple days we've been reading about the relationship between David and Jonathan. To say they were close is an understatement. However there was one particular verse that stood out to me from today's reading:

"And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God."
1 Samuel 23:17 (NIV)

As David continued running for his life, it's easy to understand how he could begin to become discouraged, frustrated and tired. But even though it was dangerous to do so, Jonathan went to help his friend find strength in God.

I suppose my question is, who in your life would act in this way for you? Who knows you well enough and cares about you to seek you out in your darkest hours for no other purpose than encouraging you and helping you find strength in God? While the Bible does not directly state it, I have no doubt that David was overjoyed to see his friend, and thankful for his concern. I say that as I give thanks for the friends who have been there for me in my own dark and discouraging times.

Why not use this as an opportunity to thank God for those friends close enough who have done this for you? Perhaps even send them a note of thanks for their friendship and concern. Or maybe this brings to mind a friend you need to contact and help find strength in God. Whatever it is, I hope you can learn from the example of Jonathan as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.