Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Musings on 2 Kings

Day 135
OT Reading: 2 Kings 12-14
NT Reading: John 5:25-47

If you haven't noticed, we've crossed the 800 barrier. We now have less than 800 chapters to go. I know, there's still a long way, but it's pretty cool nonetheless :-).

I forgot how many kings there were. Of course, I should have remembered that we're going through several hundred years of history for two nations, so of course there are a lot of kings. But after awhile they just all blend together.

For the record, I'm not going to quiz you on any of them. While I may point out specific memorable ones (and in fact I had to memorize these lists in college), the kings themselves all just run together after awhile. So don't worry about making sure you have your Amaziahs figured out from your Azariahs and your Jorams from your Jehorams.

The important thing through this section is to recognize how the actions and decisions of one leader would impact an entire nation. Some chose to walk in the ways of God...perhaps patterning their own lives after David, a priest or one of their other ancestors. Others chose to completely disobey God, sometimes...again...in the pattern of their ancestors.

I feel like there is something to that...developing a culture and influencing the next generation of leaders for Christ. I feel like there is something here about the examples that are set by the leader of any group; a home, an organization, a business or a church. I feel as though there is something about how someone's relationship with God will directly impact their leadership and influence those they lead...there's something here about all that. But I'm still working through all that in my mind.

Maybe I'll figure it out in the next chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.