Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A unique title

Day 163
OT Reading: Ezra 1-2
NT Reading: John 19:23-42

I'm not sure if you have noticed it or not, but throughout the gospel of John there has been a reoccurring title used. We do not see this title in the other gospels, and the title is only in reference to one individual. Throughout this gospel, John refers to himself solely as the disciple whom Jesus loved.

What is significant about this title? Nothing really. There is no historical designation that I am personally familiar with. There is no greek nuance that ties the title to something else in the culture. John simply chooses to call himself the one that Jesus loved.

And while I realize that Scripture no where designates why John chooses to use this title, I think I have a good idea (which, by the way, is not original with me). I think John referred to himself in this way, because that is how he wanted to be remembered. To John, it was not about having the acclaim of being one who walked with Jesus. To John, it was not about being one of Jesus' "inner circle." To John, frankly, it was not about him. And while he could not completely exclude himself from the story, it put it in such a way as to continually point back to Jesus.

"Me? Oh...I'm nobody special really. Just someone that Jesus loves."

As you look at your own life, are you concerned about people knowing your name? Or are you content to be recognized only as someone that Jesus loves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.