Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Blog through the Bible

It may surprise you (it's actually kind of a surprise to me), but I've never read through the entire Bible. Now I'm pretty sure I've read all of it at one point or another (I can even quote Habakkuk 3:15 for utter randomness), but in terms of starting and finishing the process of reading all of it in a pre-determined amount of time, that I've never done.

Not to say I think it's a test of how holy a person is. Nor do I think Simon Peter will be sitting at the gates of heaven saying, "Yeah you were close, but if you just could have read through the whole Bible..." But what I do think is that it's a great exercise to undertake for a couple reasons.

One, you see the entirety of Scripture in a more contextual way. You see how the story of God plays out in both the Old and New Testaments. You see how the history of following this God of ours spans across over four millennia of time, and you realize that we're all a part of that same story.

The second reason I think it's important is simply as a matter of discipline. Discipline is something that everyone knows is good for them, yet no one wants to do. Like flossing, eating five servings of vegetables a day and not opening up a bag of chips with your teeth. Yet, when followed through, we never seem to be disappointed of the results that discipline yields in our lives. And while some people insist that spending time with God
should be one of those things true Christians just can't get enough of...well, it's not called a spiritual discipline for nothing.

So here's what I'm going to do. Beginning May 24, 2010. I'm going to blog my way through the Bible. Sure it's been done before, but that's not the point. The point is for me to do it. And as a method of accountability, I'm putting this blog out in the "real world" and inviting you to keep me to it.

I don't promise deep spiritual insights, and I can't say that I will post every single day. But I hope you'll stick around, and maybe some of you will even join me in the venture. I've posted my reading schedule
here in case you want to join along. Each day will have readings from the Old and New Testaments so we don't get too bogged down.

So what do you say? Why not join me in the journey?

1 comment:

  1. Mark - the file is "damaged and could not be repaired" - tried to look up your reading schedule

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.