Saturday, June 12, 2010

Reoccurring theme

Day 20
OT Reading: Genesis 46-48
NT Reading: Matthew 14: 22-36

Right now we're about half-way through the gospel of Matthew, and as I was reading this evening this verse jumped out to me:

"After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray..."
Matthew 14:23a (NIV)

I know I always hear about Jesus praying all the time...and I even preach about Jesus praying a lot. But as we've been reading straight through this account of Jesus' life, some common themes have really jumped out at me. One being how many times Jesus went off by himself to pray. Jesus...the Son of God...God himself...spent more time in prayer than most of us would likely dream of.

I feel as though I'm on the right track for spiritual growth with this journey through the Bible. So I know I'm growing. But recognizing the time Jesus' spent in prayer really has shown me two things in particular. First...to Jesus, prayer was primary. To me...it's too often an after-thought. Second, while I've come a long way...I still have a looooooong way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.