Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Wouldn't it be nice?

Day 16
OT Reading: Genesis 38-40
NT Reading: Matthew 12:22-50

To me the life of Joseph is a tremendous story for a variety of reasons. As we read about Joseph we'll see him at both the pinnacle of power and living in the darkest of depths. Yet the thing that stuck out to me as I read his story again today was the simple reoccurring phrase, "the Lord was with Joseph." To you that may not be surprising considering it's in the Bible. However what struck me was that while Joseph was in power, and when he was in prison, the Lord was with Joseph.

Wouldn't that be nice? To know beyond any doubt that regardless of what you're going through God is there with you?

You see, for me it's easy to believe that God is with me when everything is going well. When my bills are getting paid, my job is secure, my relationships are going well and I'm in good health there is no doubt in my mind that God is with me. But throw a monkey wrench into my health, my finances or my relationships and suddenly I'm saying, "God where have you gone? What have I done? Why have you suddenly turned your back on me?"

But as we look through Scripture we see that God promises He'll never leave us or forsake us (ref. Hebrews 13:5). Even Jesus himself promised that regardless of whether times are good or bad, when we're a follower of his, he'll always be with us (Matthew 28:20).

So sure, it would definitely be nice to know that regardless of what I'm going through God is there with me. And that's exactly why He let us know that He always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.