Wednesday, July 21, 2010

All about animals

Day 59
OT Reading: Numbers 21-25
NT Reading: Mark 7:14-37; 8:1-21

A big reading day today. I think the format I got this schedule from probably included Day 59's readings from what would be February 28 & 29. But regardless, we won't be reading that much that often (if again this year). Today a couple animals made appearances that I wanted to mention. One because it's humorous to me and the other because of its theological significance.

In Numbers 22 we read the story about Balaam and his donkey. If you read today, Balaam was summoned by Balak to his palace, and on the way the donkey saw the "angel of the Lord" with sword in hand, ready to kill Balaam. Three times the donkey avoided the angel and three times Balaam beat the donkey for what he believed to be disobedience. Then the story takes an interesting turn. The donkey...talks.

To start off with, that's rare. I mean, I've never carried on a conversation with either of our cats. Even in the Bible, there was only one other natural animal to speak, and that was the serpent all the way back in Genesis. But the main reason I find this humorous is because Balaam just carries on a conversation with his donkey as if it were an everyday occurrence. Perhaps he just never stopped to think about how shocking this event was, or maybe since he spoke to God, he was accustomed to odd things taking place. But I know that if I were written into this story, the story would go something like this:

Donkey: "Why are you beating me?"
Me: "HOLY COW! I'm beating you because you stopped. But more importantly, why are you talking?"
Donkey: "I'm a donkey, not a cow. But why shouldn't I be talking?"
Me: "I know you're a donkey. You shouldn't be talking because donkeys don't talk."
Donkey: "Yes, but I'm talking."
Me: "I can see that, but donkeys are not supposed to talk."
Donkey: "Haven't you ever seen Shrek?"
Me: "Yes I've seen Shrek, but that's a children's movie. In real life donkeys don't talk, they bray."
Donkey: "Oh, excuse me. *ahem* 'Bray.'"
Me: "Oh great, a donkey with a sense of humor."
Donkey: "That's what you said I'm supposed to sound like."
Me: "It's called braying, but it sounds like this, *Hee-haw*."
Donkey: *chuckling* "That was pretty good, can I hear that again?"
Me: *Hee-haw*
Donkey: *openly mocking me* Funny, I've been a donkey for years and I never learned this.
Me: "Donkey, you're missing the point...DONKEYS DON'T TALK!"
Donkey: "So if donkeys don't talk. Why am I the one talking...and you the one doing all the braying?"
Me: *Sigh...* "Touche' donkey...touche'."

Yes, in my own make-believe situation I am bested by a donkey. Perhaps in my dreams tonight I'll outwit that clever beast-of-burden. But enough of my own issues coming out online, I said I actually had something that was of theological relevance, and indeed I do.

The second animal I'd like to mention was a bronze snake that Moses made in Numbers 21. God told Moses to make this snake so that those who were bitten by the venomous snakes could look on it and not die. The reason this is theologically significant is because of what we read in the New Testament.

Most people can reference, or roughly recite John 3:16. However most people have not paid much attention to what comes before or after it. In John 3:14-15 we read this, "Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life." (John 3:14-15, NIV)

The gospel writer John uses this story to illustrate the role Jesus would play. That Jesus would in fact be lifted up, and everyone who trusts in Him will have eternal life. Nothing they could do would save them. No good works, sacrifices or religious services would cut it. Their salvation only came when they trusted in what was lifted up for them.

Ok...that's enough reading for today. And if I secretly discover that my cats really can talk...trust me, I'll let you know

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.