Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Of Traditions and Men

Day 58
OT Reading: Numbers 18-20
NT Reading: Mark 7:1-13

Today as I was reading, there was one verse that seemed to stand out from among everything else.

"You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."

Mark 7:8 (NIV)

Perhaps I'm biased because of my own life experiences. Perhaps I'm jaded because of what I do for a living. But how many churches across the United States would benefit from taking down their decorations, removing their ornamental objects, and instead hanging above their doors these very words of Jesus?
Lord may you forgive us for the times that we have held so tightly to our own rituals (formal or informal), that we have neglected our divine purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.