Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Press on

Day 65
OT Reading: Deuteronomy 1-2
NT Reading: Mark 11:1-19

So here we are, a little over two-months into this year through the Bible. By now reading is likely a habit. For me, on those days I choose not to blog, that even pesters my mind somewhat as I try to lay down to sleep. If you're up to date with our reading schedule, as of yesterday we finished the Old Testament book of Numbers. Honestly it wasn't quite as bad as I remember. Now that I think about it, I think the vast lists will still be ahead of us when we hit Chronicles...but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

So my question to you is...how is this whole experience going? I mean yes, it's great practice to be involved in, something that most people would say is a great discipline. But just like physical exercise, eating enough vegetables and switching your toothbrush every three months...there are a lot of great disciplines that many people never do. So again I ask...how is this going?

I hope this has not turned into a daily drudgery or an absent-minded task. It would be quite easy to just check it off the list each day, as if you've taken your spiritual multi-vitamin (apparently I'm into health-related metaphors tonight). But the fact is that habits can easily morph into mindless routines. To be honest, that's all part of why I write here. Not just to keep myself accountable (which this very much does), but to try to reveal passages, deal with difficult Scriptures and sometimes have some fun.

In short, a little over two months in, I hope you haven't lost the zeal and fervor that you initially set out with. This sort of task is a marathon...not a sprint. To be honest, we're not even quite one-fifth of the way through. But I hope that as we flip through the pages...as the Old Testament at times seems irrelevant and the gospels monotonous...keep pressing forward. Keep pushing on to complete this goal.

Perhaps as a point of motivation you should discuss with someone what you're learning. Perhaps you should bust out a few questions that have been in the back of your mind and post them here or on Facebook. But whatever you decide to do, in the midst of grinding through a few chapters a day...keep pressing on.

"Let us not become wearing in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. I would say that reading the Bible every day has become part of my routine, but not in a bad way. I look forward to it every morning & feel like I've missed something if I miss a day. I am really glad I committed to do this. I think I'm enjoying the Old Testament the most since my Bible study in the past has always been more focused on the teachings of the New Testament. I knew the major stories from Sunday School but that was about it. I think it's really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spose to change your toothbrush evry 3 months?? Seriously?? Mine must be pretty yucky then. lol. Yes i am learning a lot like Melissa,about the main story about Moses, not after seeing God and all. I must admit, i do skim the some of it, but i am on track!! Thank you so much Mark ,for the schedule and web site to reflect on!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.