Sunday, July 25, 2010

All about influence

Day 63
OT Reading: Numbers 32-33
NT Reading: Mark 10:1-31

Simple instructions given by God:

1. Cross the Jordan river to the land I promised your father Abraham.
2. Drive out or kill everyone there.

In fact, now that I write it I'm kind of shocked with the morbid simplicity of the whole concept. I mean...doesn't a peaceful, loving God have any room for diplomacy? Wouldn't it be kinder and more peaceful to progressively assimilate all those cultures, or even allow them to stand on their own? So why does God give such drastic instructions?

To answer that I'd like to quote a principle I've heard preacher Andy Stanley recite on numerous occasions. This is one of the seven principles that North Point Community Church utilizes in their student ministry over and over again. The principle is simply this, "Your friends will determine the direction and quality of your life."

You may be wondering what in the world that has to do with anything...but stick with me.

Well the connection between the two is actually rather simple...both are all about influence. You see, the people we choose to surround ourselves with are the ones that we will be most influenced by. Therefore if choose to have friendships with negative people, I'll likely end up negative. If I have friends who are "go-getters" I'll likely be inspired to take on challenges. In fact I've even heard author, speaker and radio personality Dave Ramsey say, "Studies show that your income is within 10% of the average income of your 10 closest friends. Choose your friends and influences wisely." Whether we like it or not, we will inevitably end up like those we choose to surround ourselves with.

Now let's go back to God's command to the Israelites...you know, the whole "drive out or kill everyone" command? The very reason God gave this command was simple...influence. God knew that if the Israelites surrounded themselves with countries involved in pagan worship, spiritualist practices and other activities He opposed, eventually they would give in. Eventually they would turn away from Him to worship the false gods of these nations. God could not stand to see that happen. In fact, that's why God refers to himself as a "jealous God." (Exodus 20:5) So to make sure that this doesn't happen, but instead that His people do not turn to false Gods...God simply wants to ensure they remove all influences otherwise.

Which of course begs the question...what/who am I allowing to influence me? What am I watching? Reading? Spending my free time on? Who am I having regular conversations with? How am I spending my time? Are the answers to these questions influences that God would approve of? Or would he be looking at us saying, "You really need to drive those out of your life."

It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.