Friday, September 17, 2010

Largely Unnoticed

Day 117
OT Reading: 2 Samuel 17-18
NT Reading: Luke 21:1-19

Such a simple illustration pulled from everyday life. Several rich people coming forward to put their large offerings into the temple treasury...many unabashedly making a spectacle about how much they give. Masses of people gathering around to see the grand amounts being brought to God.

Then enter a poor widow. She quietly makes her way through the crowd to the place where offerings are gathered. And the only sound of celebration is the clinking sound of two small copper coins as they land amongst the other offerings. For the most part, this poor, quiet widow goes unnoticed....except, that is, by Jesus.

Jesus pulls aside his disciples and teaches them a difficult lesson for any of us to learn. That while others gave out of their wealth and excess...this simple woman gave all she had out of her love and devotion to God.

This is one of those teaching moments in Scripture that I'd really rather avoid. Because I look around at all the stuff I have, and I look at what my wife and I give. And I wonder...does Jesus see me more as the rich who gave out of their wealth? Or does he see me more as the poor widow?

And the same question goes for you as well. In regard to your giving, how do you think Jesus sees you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.