Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The beginning of Psalms

Day 192
OT Reading: Psalms 4-6
NT Reading: Acts 16:16-40

So far we've read only six out of the 150 Psalms, and if you haven't gotten it already, you'll find that the Psalms pretty well run the emotional spectrum. Already we have seen:

Joy: "You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me well in safety." Psalm 4:8-9, NIV.

Sorrow: "I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears." Psalm 6:6, NIV

Fear: "O Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!" Psalm 3:1

Suffering: "My soul is in anguish. How long, O Lord, oh long?" Psalm 6:3, NIV

And hopefulness: "From the Lord comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people." Psalm 3:8, NIV

This sets the stage very well for what we're going to see through the rest of Psalms. Psalms displays the heartfelt thoughts, prayers and frustrations of the writers. We will see the highest of highs, "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever!" (Psalm 107:1, NIV) We will also see the lowest lows, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Psalm 22:1, NIV) From all this we can take one very important lesson: it's ok to tell God exactly how we feel.

If you're paying attention, you will come across some passages that frankly disturb you. Ones that you probably would not even think of praying to God, much less reading in church from the Bible. But that's part of the point. God is not threatened by our anger, our frustration, our questions (remember Job?)...God is fine with us telling Him exactly how we feel.

So when you pray, why not open things up a little? Pull away from the formula prayers and the mindless repetitive statements that you could say in your sleep. Why not start talking to God about exactly what you think and feel. And if you are not willing to give that a shot...just tell me one thing. What is keeping you from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.