Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When I seriously did LOL.

Day 197
OT Reading: Psalms 19-21
NT Reading: Acts 19:21-41

There is one sentence from today's reading that made me literally laugh out loud when I read it. Maybe it's because I was not expecting it. Maybe it's because it really is funny. Maybe it's because I'm just a little bit weird. But before I give you the sentence, let me set the stage.

The silversmiths of Ephesus, led by a man named Demetrius have led a large group of people into the theater of Ephesus. These people were irate, believing that Paul and his companions were desecrating the name of their sacred goddess Artemis by preaching about this Jesus character. This had caused people to turn away from the faith, it had caused others to throw out their household gods, and most irritatingly, this all was eating into the profits of those who financially benefitted from the worship of Artemis. Yelling at the top of their lungs, angrily shouting out "Great is Artemis of the Ephesians" this mob stormed into the Ephesian theater, grabbing some of Paul's companions on the way.

This scene was, of course, rather chaotic...a massive mob of people, screaming, shouting, angry, insulted. And then in Acts 19:32b we read, "Most of the people did not even know why they were there." (NIV).

I seriously laughed out loud when I read that. Thinking of the mob-like mentality that can overtake a crowd so quickly. And some would just go along...not having any idea what the fuss was all about.

Maybe I'll be the only one who finds that funny. As the saying goes, "Laugh alone...and the world thinks you're an idiot." And you know what? I'm ok with that :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.