Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Psalm 22

Day 198
OT Reading: Psalms 22-24
NT Reading: Acts 20:1-16

The 23rd Pslam is one of the most well-known and often-recited passages in all of Scripture. It is common to hear this passage at a hospital bedside, funeral, or by those enduring the storms of life. But even with the popularity of this passage, it is not the one that I personally am most drawn to from today's reading.

The Psalm I'd like to focus on is the one immediately prior...Pslam 22. It begins with some words you may find familiar, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Psalm 22:1, NIV) Jesus himself spoke these words while enduring his final hours on the cross (see Matt 27:46 and Mark 15:34). But the connections between Psalm 22 and Jesus' death do not end there. In case they did not jump out before, go read Psalm 22:1-22 again. Despite the names and places you may not recognize...can you see it?

This is one of those times that I'm not going to give you all the answers, as I absolutely want you to go and look at the passage yourself. But as you look, I would like to to consider the following questions:
* How many allusions can you find to Jesus' death on the cross?
* How does the language offered in Psalm 22 impact your understanding of what he physically endured?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and please be kind. Inappropriate or rude comments will be removed.